Glucocorticoids: Adverse effects
' GLUCOCORTICOIDS '
- Lunacy (Psychotic episodes)
- Peptic Ulceration
- Cushing's syndrome
- Cataracts (posterior subcapcular in children)
- Opportunistic infections
- Retention of Sodium and water (mineralocorticoid effects)
- Insulin resistance (hyperglycemia)
- Cause muscle weakness on withdrawal
- grOwth retardation
- by Growth hormone Inhibition
- Delayed wound healing
- Suppresses hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA axis)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.
Did you know?
|Corticosteroids are hormones produced in the cortex of the adrenal gland. They include glucocorticoids, mineralocaorticoids and a small amount of androgens.|