Captopril (an ACE inhibitor): Side effects
' CAPTOPRIL '
- Cough (dry)
- Angioedema, Agranulocystosis
- Taste alteration (dysgeusia), Teratogenicity (Pregnancy is a contraindication)
- Orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension)
- Renal failure if used in bilateral renal artery stenosis (contraindication), Rash
- Increased potassium
- Leukopenia, Liver toxicity, Low BP
Except for postural hypotension which occurs due to short and fast action of captopril, most of the side effects mentioned are common for all ACEIs .
Contraindications to ACE inhibitor use are, 'PARK' - Pregnancy, h/o Allergy (angioedema), Renal artery stenosis & hyperKalemia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.
Did you know?
|Dry cough is the most frequent adverse effect of ACEIs. Both cough and angioedema are due to elevated levels of bradykinin.|
|Acute renal failure is precipitated in patients with bilateral renal artery stenosis due to fall in glomerular filtration pressure and is contraindicated in such patients. ACEIs cause dilatation of efferent arterioles which in the presence of compromised inflow due to stenosed renal artery lead to the fall in filtration pressure.|